Sunday, April 15, 2012

cookies for breakfast

This morning, well, this afternoon, I'm thankful for the fact that the storms that made their way across the state last night didn't produce any extreme weather in our neck of the woods.  Unfortunately, some towns can't say the same.  The city of Woodward (about an hour and a half to our west) suffered significant tornado damage and lost 5 people in the storm that hit them.  It's always sad to hear of lives lost, but when you hear that some of them were children, it hits you in a different kind of way.  We're thinking about and lifting up those families in prayer today.

As we waited for the storm to approach last night, Travis requested something sweet.  I had nothing on hand, so I scrolled through my sweets pinboard on Pinterest and gave him a few options I could make with what I had in the fridge and pantry.  So at 11 pm last night I was in the kitchen whipping up a half batch of these delicious cream cheese filled, lemon blueberry cookies.

After the storm passed in the wee hours this morning, we finally went to bed around 4 am.  We slept in today, so "breakfast" was at 11:30 am.  And "breakfast" was a few of these cookies with a cup of reheated coffee from a fresh pot I made around 10 pm last night.  No complaints here.


My cookies didn't turn out as pretty as they look on the website I got the recipe from.  Apparently I need a lesson in working with blueberries.  My scones from yesterday morning, and these cookies, are/were quite marbled with purple.  I even used frozen berries in hopes they'd "smush" less while mixing them into the dough.  Have any tips?

Despite the fact that these were extremely messy to make, and aren't as pretty as they had the potential to be, they were deliciously light.  They'd be great for a spring or summer get together.  I'm definitely hanging on to this recipe.


So, all this to say, we are safe and these cookies are delicious.
Even for breakfast with reheated coffee.

And thank you for all of the prayers for our safety last night.
They were greatly appreciated, and answered!


1 comment:

  1. So glad y'all are safe, I hate storms.
    These cookies look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete