Saturday, April 14, 2012

keeping distracted

We've had a busy weekend, weather-wise.  I'm sure you've seen me posting on Facebook about it, or even seen it on the news yourself.  The mid-west is supposed to get rocked this evening with potential tornadoes, hail, and damaging winds.  Needless to say, I'm shaking in my proverbial booties.  Our storm shelter is ready, emergency bags are packed and ready to grab on the way out the door, and we're glued to the weather channel and iPhone weather apps.
So, I've just been trying to keep myself distracted.

This morning, we were supposed to have some friends over for brunch and walk through our neighborhood for a neighborhood yard sale that was scheduled.  We cancelled because of the weather, but I did still make the scones!  I'm about to tell you how delicious they were....they were de-licious!  This was my first time making scones, so I didn't realize how crumbly and dry the dough was until I texted a friend to make sure the consistency I had was the consistency I was looking for in the dough.  End result were scones that didn't necessarily look amazing, but tasted down right yummy.  I may, or may not have, eaten multiple.  But it was brunch - both breakfast AND lunch, so we'll call it good. M'kay?  

Here's the blueberry scones with lemon glaze recipe I used, incase you want to give them a try.  You won't be sorry if you do.  




With all of this crazy weather talk, Travis and I haven't had much sleep.  We were up until 4 am, or so, last night...and woke up a few times after that to keep an eye on the weather apps on our phones.  If only we could have slept this soundly last night...ah, to be a care-free little one.


After Callan woke up from his nap today, I decided to whip up a quick batch of sweet potato muffins to take down into the shelter tonight, if need be.  We have some canned food down there, but I wanted to bake something that had a bit of shelf-life (a few days, at least) that would fill our bellies.  

Here's the recipe I used (sweet potato oatmeal muffins) - minus the optional topping.  They're tasty, but I think I'm still on the hunt for a better recipe.  Do share, if you have one!


I renamed them "shelter muffins".  At least this batch, I did.  Hopefully we get to eat them in the house, and NOT the storm shelter.  


Hopefully this is the last time we have to prep and anticipate scrambling into this shelter....because a new one is in production for us!  My parents are pretty much the awesomest.  AKA, THE most awesome.  We are beyond grateful for the peace of mind and safety that a non-leaking, non-crumbling, clean, secure door shelter will give us in the future.
A million thank you's aren't enough.
But the safety of Callan (and us) will be.

Please keep us in your prayers tonight as the potentially destructive storms make their way through the state.  KOCO is doing a fantastic job keeping viewers updated on the storms, watches, and warnings; we've been glued practically all day.  You can keep an eye on our area by heading over to KOCO's site.




1 comment: