Wednesday, July 6, 2011

recipe : fresh vegetable salad

On the 4th of July, I was responsible for sides and dessert.  The sides I chose to make were this salad and Parmesan potatoes.  Both were first time recipes for me, both turned out really well.  

The veggie salad was my favorite, though.  I reminded me of my favorite broccoli salad from Sweet Tomatoes.
I can't get enough. 

This photo doesn't do the salad justice.  iPhone pictures rarely do anything justice.  But you get the idea. 


This, very well, might turn into my new "go-to" BBQ side.  

Here's the recipe (from Taste of Home):

Ingredients

2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflowerets
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
(I forgot to include this, but I'm not a fan of green pepper, so that worked out just fine)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used a red onion)
1/4 cup grated carrot
1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (I used Kraft's mayo made with olive oil)
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
(I also added about 1/4 cup raisins) 

Directions

Toss vegetables in a large salad bowl.  In a small bowl, combine mayo, sugar, and Parmesan; pour over veggies and toss to coat.  Cover and chill.  Sprinkle with bacon just before serving. 

Every time I try a new recipe, I think about what could be added or changed, if anything.  This salad is delicious as it is, but I think the next time I'll add chopped walnuts, diced green apple, and sunflower seeds.
YUM.

Do you have any "go-to" summer time recipes?

Hope you're staying cool!  Temperatures are consistently 100+ degrees in our neck of the woods.
Is it too early to say that I'm ready for Fall?


3 comments:

  1. That looks delish! The sides are always my favorite part :) My summer go-to is tomato & mozzarella & basil drizzled with balsamic. So easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! Nothing beats a fresh tomato, mozzarella, & basil dish! I'm salivating just thinking about it... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good.
    We have a broccoli salad similar this that is at any family gathering.
    So simple - broccoli, dried cranberries, bacon, pecans (with a tangy sweet dressing.

    ReplyDelete