Thursday, July 28, 2011

recipe: lemon coolers

I made these cookies today for two reasons.  1) I had three lemons sitting on my counter that needed to be used asap, and 2) my mom and grandma will be here in a few weeks, so I wanted to have a little treat already made for them to pull out {of the freezer} to enjoy with a cup of tea/coffee when they get here.  

These cookies could not be easier. 


I originally found the recipe here.  My recipe is different, only in the fact that I used unsalted butter (because that's all I buy), a little more zest than suggested, and I didn't shake the cooled cookies in a bag of sugar, I merely rolled the tops in the sugar.  I got 29 cookies out of my dough, and they're right around 50 calories per cookie.  

They're a shortbread/tea type of cookie.  Just a hint of sweet and a little bite of lemon.  Easy and delicious.

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar (plus a little for rolling the cookies in, once cooled)
1 tsp finely shredded lemon zest
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
Combine flour, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl, mix.
Add butter and vanilla, mix until a smooth dough forms.
(No need to get the mixer out for this one, it only takes a minute or two with a wooden spoon.)
Roll dough into teaspoon sized balls and place on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until bottoms of cookies are lightly browned.
Cool on wire rack.
Once cooled, roll tops of cookies in a little powdered sugar.
Enjoy!


In between trying to get our bedroom primed, chasing Callan, and attempting to keep a clean house, I started a little project with some capiz shells I've had stashed away for a few years.
I'll let you know if this project is a win or fail sometime next week.


Hope you're having a great week - it's almost Friday!  Hooray!

0 comments:

Post a Comment