Tuesday, September 27, 2011

pumpkin recipe overload

Over the past two weeks, or so, I've been swimming in pumpkin.  Not literally, although that would be quite yummy, but I've been measuring out pumpkin for a variety of recipes, just about every day.  I've made a few delicious treats, as well as a few not so delicious ones (in my opinion).

I found (almost) all of these pumpkin recipes via Pinterest.

Let's start with one that I can't stop talking about.
 AMAZING.  Seriously.  If you finish reading this blog post down to the bottom, you've wasted too much time - you need to get yourself into the kitchen and whip out those muffin pans and start mixing!  These little babies are a little bit of heaven.  Just half of a muffin is enough, but you'll want to eat the whole thing!  From the cake, to the filling, to the streusel topping...Simply yum.

These muffins get a 5 out of 5 rating from me.

(And they freeze really well!)




 We had these waffles for dinner one night after a friend of mine had said they were really good.  They had them for dinner just a night, or two, before.  They certainly didn't disappoint.  They were delish.  My only complaint was that they weren't quite pumpkin-y enough.  Maybe a little pumpkin pie spice would have enhanced them just the right amount.  I'd probably try a different pumpkin waffle recipe next time - just to see if there's a better, pumpkin-y-er, one out there.
"Pumpkin-y-er" is now a word.  Make note.

I'd give these a 3.5/4 out 5 five, though.  Delicious, just lacking that pumpkin/spice.


Callan LOVES the waffles, too!  I stuck a few in the freezer to pull out for him for breakfasts over the next few weeks.  He snacked on some while I cooked them.

Sounds a little weird.  I was wary to try, but it really is a tasty pumpkin treat in the morning.  Just enough pumpkin, just enough spice.  And there's oatmeal in it! (hence the name...) All three of us enjoyed them - I think I might make one for breakfast this morning, as a matter of fact!

My like-o-meter gives these shakes a 4 out of 5.


Thoroughly enjoyed these.  Balanced flavor of pumpkin and spice.  I did the same with these as I did the waffles - I threw the leftovers into the freezer and pull them out for breakfast for Callan.  His favorite breakfast, right now, is half a pancake, 1/4-1/3 of a banana, and some yogurt.  Kid is a yogurt fiend.  Would definitely use this pancake recipe again.  

I'd give them a 4/4.5 out of 5.


Pumpkin-ricotta stuffed shells. 
I found this recipe in the most recent issue of Country Living.  I had to try it.  (If you're interested in the recipes, just leave me a comment and I'll get it to you!)  I was pleasantly surprised!  They're very good.  I was a little disappointed in how much the ricotta over-powered the flavor of the pumpkin, however.  And there aren't any typical spices in this recipe - I would probably add some the next time.  All in all, delicious.  I have some in the freezer for a meal later this week.

4 out of 5


Ok, here is where my recipes went a little south.  I was uber excited when I saw this recipe for pumpkin cream cheese truffles
I'm not sure if it was a recipe fail or an Allison fail...  Either way, I'd pass on this recipe.  The orange zest was way too overpowering, the truffle filling didn't harden enough to roll into pretty little truffle balls to dip into the almond bark, not even after 24 hours in the fridge.  I did, however, find a pumpkin truffle recipe that makes WAY more sense.  (This one.  I haven't tried a recipe, yet, from this site that hasn't been outstanding.)  If I were to attempt them again, I'd go with the recipe from Annie's Eats.

MY Pumpkin Truffles.  2 out of 5.

They went from looking like this...


...to this.  Just awful.


And then there's the pumpkin fudge.
This (somewhat of a) fail was all on me.  I only had 1.5 cups of white chocolate chips on hand, not the 2 cups required by the recipe.  I decided to go with it anyways.  The flavor was good, the consistency was just off a smidge.  I'd suggest giving it a go with the proper measurements.  Ha!

Fudge.  3 out of 5.


Travis took the truffles and the fudge to work - the guys loved them.  But then again, they'd eat almost anything.  So...

Anyways, I couldn't end on a fail (two of them, for that matter), so I baked on.  

 Amazing.  They're light and airy, with a delicious, sugary frosting.  They taste like beautiful, little muffin tops.  Mmm...I, seriously, want to go pull one out of the freezer right now.  Yes, they freeze well, too!

These yummy little bits of heaven get a 5 out of 5 from me.
Go make them. You won't be disappointed.  I promise you.


My most recent pumpkin endeavor, in the kitchen, was pumpkin cheesecake bars.
There are 4 layers to this sweet little dessert, but it's worth the effort, in my opinion.  A layer of graham cracker crust, then a layer of semi-sweet chocolate mixed with the pumpkin cheesecake filling, then the real deal pumpkin cheesecake filling, topped off with a thin layer of a sweetened sour cream frosting.  

I give these super yummy, super indulgent, squares of deliciousness a 4.5 out of 5. 


So, there you have it.
Nine pumpkin recipes in less than two weeks.
Honestly rated.  Absolutely devoured.

 Have you made anything fall-ish/pumpkin-y yet?  Do share!




0 comments:

Post a Comment