Friday, August 5, 2011

around here

We're all adjusting to a new schedule.  This week, Travis switched from night shift (4pm to midnight) to day shift (7:30am to 4:15pm).  So, we're all trying to switch over to Travis' new schedule, but that's easier said than done.  Callan's used to going to bed when we used to - anywhere between 12:30 and 2:30 am - and now trying to get him to go to bed between 10 and 11 pm is a challenge.  It'll be a slow process of changing our schedule.  We'll probably have it mastered by the time Travis goes back to night shift, right?  Because that's just how things go.  

Anyways, life around here goes on.  Nothing too exciting, or productive, has been happening.  We are at, like, day 44, or something like that, of 100+ temperatures, so outside projects are on hold, major inside projects, like painting, only happen when Callan is sleeping (and naps seem to be getting shorter these days), so progress is slow.  Callan is always on the go, getting into, practically, everything, so my eyes are on him most of his waking hours.  I am, however, watching him play, out of the corner of my eye, right now, as I type this.  I've been trying to get this post up for three days now, so I'm hoping to have a few moments to finally get this done.  

{ Ok, so after a 15 minute break, he's down for a nap.  Here I go, I'm going to get this done.  And then hopefully get some painting done before he wakes up.  Fingers crossed for, at least, an hour long nap. }

Last weekend when we went to the Apple store to get *new phones*, we took a stroll around the mall to check out what stores they have.  Of course we had to pop into Pottery Barn to see if they had anything good on sale.  Because I refuse to pay full price.  I found these straws on a sale table - they came home with us.  They were $5.  I picked up these same straws (but in a different color/pattern) a few years ago when I worked at Pottery Barn in Fresno, but after years of being washed in the dishwasher, I thought I deserved some brandy-new ones.  Love them.


This is about where I am in painting our bedroom.  Walls are primed, trim is painted (finally after 2 coats of primer and 5 [?] coats of paint, plus touch ups).  I'm hoping to get the walls painted before the weekend is over, but we'll see if that wish comes true.  The paint color is very light, so I'm hoping I won't need more than two coats. 


Oh, and I came across a super simple recipe for "no-bake energy bites" last week {on Pinterest}, and decided to give them a go.  They're totally tasty, and a great treat when you need a little something sweet or a post-workout boost.  You can find the recipe here.  But here's how I made mine:


Ingredients
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats 
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1-2 tsp vanilla
1-2 tsp of your favorite spice(s)

Directions
In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, and vanilla.  Add the rest of the ingredients, mix to combine.  Put the bowl in the fridge for about 30 minutes to allow the "dough" to stiffen a little bit - it will be easier to work with, once chilled.  After the "dough" has chilled, roll into tablespoon sized balls.  Makes about 2 dozen.  From here, you can bag them up and keep them in the fridge or freezer.  These make a great, easy snack on the go.

The first batch of these, that I made, I added cinnamon as my spice.  The second time, I added about a tablespoon of cocoa and a tablespoon and a half of ground flax seed.  I like the second batch much better.  Travis took a bunch of these to work, and the guys enjoyed them, too!  

I did the math, and each of these snack balls are just over 100 calories.

*********************

Travis has always been a fan of Captain America, so he had to go see the movie when it was released.  He even went to the midnight showing the day that it came out.  Anyways, to indulge his excitement over his favorite super hero, I whipped up this onesie for Callan.  Cute, right?


And here's my curious little guy doing what he does best.



{ I call this one, "looking for Narnia" }

So, that's what's been going on here lately.  My capiz shell project is on hold, because I ran out of fishing line.  I'm hoping to get to the store, this weekend maybe, so I can hurry up and cross that project off my list.
I hate when projects linger, don't you?!  
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment