Tuesday, November 2, 2010

yarn wreath no. 2 + felt flower "how-to"

When I picked up the materials that I needed to make this yarn wreath, I also picked up a smaller wreath and enough yarn and felt to make a second.  Yes, that's how much I love them.  Plus, I wanted to make one that has a bit more color for spring/summer time.  This wreath was less expensive - which I like.  The 14" wreath cost me $3.47, the yarn was $3.69, and the felt was $1.50.  A total of $8.66 for this one.



A friend of mine commented on how much she loved these yarn wreaths and wanted to know how to make the felt flowers.  Instead of just telling her how to make them, I thought I'd "show" her (and anyone else who might be interested), right here on the blog.  I did just "wing it" when making these - there's probably another way to make them, but this is what worked for me.  Here's what you'll need:

glue gun, scissors, felt circles
For the felt circles, I cut a bunch of each of these sizes: 1 1/4", 1 3/4", and 2 1/4".  (All eyeballed - none of them are perfect.)  For my flowers (the bigger ones), I used 3 of the smallest size, 2-3 of the medium, and anywhere from 2-4 of the largest, depending on the size I wanted the finished flower to be.  You'll figure out how many work for you as you go along. 

I start out by cutting each of the felt circles that I'll be using in half.  I run a line of glue along the cut edge and then wrap it around itself.  Like so:

one small "petal" starts the flower
Adding the rest of the smallest circle halves, I get to this point:


Now, for the mid-sized and largest circle halves, I have to trim a bit off otherwise the petals are too deep and they tend to look a bit "over-grown", looking silly against the smaller "petals".

trim about this much
mid sized "petals" glued on
largest "petals" added - finished flower
So that's how the felt flowers are made, at least according to me.  If you know of or come up with different (easier) method, let me know.  Happy flower making!

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea, just because your flowers come out looking more real, and "petal-like", but I have an easier way to do it. Just take a medium sized bowl and draw a circle on felt. Cut out the circle and then cut spirally all the way to the center of the circle. Just one piece! And you take the edge, clue it back for the inside of your flower and then just simply roll it around and glue when done. And of course, you can change your sizes by changing the size of your circle. I'm going to try your idea just to see if I can manage! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete