Tuesday, June 7, 2011

DIY: map pendant

 This was my inspiration for the pendant in Callan's room.

{source}

I didn't find an online tutorial, I just pinned the image so I knew how to find it when I was ready to wing this project.

I'll tell ya, it was really fun to make - I loved seeing it come together, circle by circle.

Here's a little how-to:
{super easy}

I started out with a plain, white, 22", paper pendant. 


I gathered a few vintage maps from a local antique store - one from California {where Travis is from, and where we lived for 6+ years before moving to OK}, one from New Jersey {where I'm from, born and raised}, and one from Oklahoma {where Callan is from}.  I also pulled an old CA roadmap from our car, and a US road atlas from the backseat pocket just in case the maps purchased for this project weren't enough.
{They weren't.}

I cut out DOZENS of 5" circles.
{I used a small Pyrex bowl as my pattern.}


 Then hot glued them to the pendant.


I went through quite a few glue sticks.


But the end result is so fun!


It reminds me of a giant artichoke {ish}.

 
At night time, the pendant glows with such a beautiful soft light - perfect ambiance for sleepy baby.  And just enough light for a diaper change.

{linking up with...}



15 comments:

  1. LOVE that! so cute. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it. I laughed about the artichoke comment, I totally thought the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! It looks so expensive and professionally done! You have my mind spinning about all kindsa projects I could attempt with a paper pendant like that.

    Found you from the A to Z linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the coolest thing I've seen in ages! I'm totally making one for my little guy's room. Pinned this to my "to do list" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I love this! I hope you would like to share this at goodbyecityhellosuburbs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. opps I left the wrong link- let me try it again WorkShop Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this too and loved it! Thanks for the tutorial, visiting from Stories of A-Z -K

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so making one of these!!! it is stunning!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would love to know how large the circles are? You seem to have the right size. Thanks.. Love Love, Love this for many different occasions. Would it not be cool for a party with colorful design papers hanging in a yard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are about 5" in diameter :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi,
    i saw this pinned and then again on a different blog and i really love it. where did you buy the paper pendant? and did you find that it worked well to glue from the top down??
    thanks
    Molly @ keytoflow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Molly,
    I picked up my paper pendant at Cost Plus World Market for a couple bucks, but I've seen them at Hobby Lobby, Ikea, and a few other places (can't remember at the moment). I started glueing on the bottom (only one row around the pendant opening), and then flipped it over and went from top to bottom. Worked really well for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is awesome. I can imagine it took forever cutting out the circles, but the end result was really worth it. :) Thanks for sharing this!

    vanessa

    ReplyDelete