Wednesday, January 5, 2011

sweet memories

My grandpa is being buried today.  His death hasn't felt really real until today.  My heart is so sad, yet I rejoice.  I rejoice because my grandpa is with Jesus.  How sweet it must be.  I will see my grandpa again, one day.    

As my family celebrates the life of my grandfather, I can't help but think of the times my sister and I spent at my grandparents house growing up.  We have such good memories with my grandma and grandpa.  Every time I walk into my grandparent's house as an adult, I recall all the fun times I had there as a child. 

Building forts out of the sofa cushions, running circles through the living room and tv room, the bag full of Hello Kitty goodies my grandma used to keep in the closet at the end of the hallway, hiding in the coat closet (I can even remember the smell), sitting on the "step" under the bar in the kitchen and thinking that was the neatest place to hang out, all of grandma's plants, eating ice cream out of grandma's fancy, colorful bowls, cookies - always, playing with the tupperware in the kitchen - cutting cheese into shapes with the little red shape cutter, eating out on the deck, sleeping over in the living room, my grandma's many sewing projects, my grandpa's bowl of candy - always within reach...I could go on...

When we were at my grandma's house last week, all of these fond memories came flooding back.  It's so strange to think that the next time we go to my grandma's house, my grandpa won't be there.  He won't be sitting in his chair watching and listening, and occasionally piping in.  I'm so thankful for the memories.  But for the moment, it's hard to see through the tears. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment